At Mazaheri Law Firm, we represent clients across a diverse array of areas, including family law, personal injury, immigration law, mediation and employment law. Now, we’re excited to announce that we are expanding our practice and accepting DUI cases. If you have been arrested for driving under the influence, you need representation from an experienced Oklahoma City attorney immediately.
Penalties for DUI Conviction
According to Oklahoma DUI laws, you are legally considered intoxicated if your blood alcohol content (BAC) is at .08%. If you are arrested and convicted for driving under the influence, the penalties get progressively harsher with every subsequent offense.
- First offense: Between 10 days and 1 year in jail, fine up to $1,000 and a driver’s license suspension of 30 days
- Second offense (within 10 years of first offense): Jail time between 1 and 5 years, fine of up to $2,500, driver’s license suspension for 60 days and a required ignition interlock device
- Third offense and above: Between 1 and 10 years in jail, fine of up to $5,000, driver’s license suspension for 1 year and a required ignition interlock device
In addition, you also face lost time from work, transportation costs, alcohol/drug treatment program costs, license processing fees, authorized limited driving fees and increased insurance rates. Penalties can be amplified if you’re underage, your BAC was high, you were involved in a car accident or a child was in the car during your arrest.
Why You Need an Attorney
Oklahoma has strict laws on drunk driving offenses that make a second DUI a felony offense, which can result in severe penalties. While a misdemeanor conviction usually means a few hours or days in jail, a felony can lead to a 1 year sentence in jail and expensive court fines. Facing these consequences can be horrifying, but an experienced attorney can help by:
- Representing you in court
- Providing counsel on your options
- Presenting and refuting evidence
- Accessing expert witnesses
- Getting a reduced sentence or dropped charges
- Giving you the best chance at a favorable result
A DUI conviction will lead to a criminal record that could haunt you for years, making it harder to get a job, rent an apartment or home or apply to school. If you have been arrested for driving under the influence, please contact our Oklahoma City DUI defense lawyers at Mazaheri Law Firm today.Call (405) 414-2222 or contact us online today!